[mythtv-users] OT: Can we expect to reap some benefits from Google Android?

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 22:49:33 UTC 2008

I just caught a peek at this article on the first Android devices:

It seems like they're mostly concepts and prototypes for the moment,
but this bit jumped out at me:

"TI also demoed Android on their latest OMAP 3430 processor, a much
faster machine. [...] The TI 3430 can play high-definition 720p video
through its video-out port, but those drivers haven't been written
yet, TI reps said."

I guess the question is whether the hardware drivers will be as open
as the Android spec. Is there any requirement for that?

And I guess the takeaway I can see is that it should soon be at least
theoretically possible to build or hack together an HD-capable FE
device out of smartphone-type hardware. Talk about small and quiet.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting, and while I won't hold my breath
on completely silent, pocket-size FEs, I can certainly hope that the
hardware and driver coding going into these devices can somehow
trickle into Myth to lower the current CPU requirements for HD.

Just a thought.