[mythtv-users] A paradigm shift is coming. Are you ready?

Brian Phillips brian.phillips at gmx.net
Tue Feb 12 19:50:55 UTC 2008

David Brodbeck wrote:
> Hmm.  How good is it?  My impression of Intel chipsets is that they
> were intended for business use, and didn't have much in the way of
> acceleration.  Is that an outdated assumption?

Browsing the link he gave in his post yields yet another link to this
website:
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboard/index.htm

Which is a list of intel boards.  They have a set that seems to cater to
multimedia PCs.  6 USB ports, DVI outputs, mATX, etc.

If Intel has the "business class" stigma, IMO, it's left over from the days
when gamers ruled the market and there was nVIDIA vs ATI, and then Intel was
the "economic" choice.  I don't think you need to have the 3D acceleration
for games that nVIDIA and ATI have, you just need the Intel chip to be able
to decode MPEG2 and MPEG4 content.  I don't think MPEG2 and MPEG4 algorithms
are bleeding edge...