[mythtv-users] Multirec Feature

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 12:04:38 UTC 2008

On 2/12/08, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> > If I schedule back-to-back recordings on different channels it assigns
> > different physical tuners for each - no problem there as that's what I
> > want. For back-to-back recordings on the same channel it assigns the
> > same virtual (and hence physical) tuner. Again I don't see a problem
> > with that I just expected the same stream to be written to both
> > recording files during the overlap period but this is not happening.
>
> I think it's because you're using soft-padding on your recordings. If
> you use hard padding, it should cause a conflict and assign the second
> recording to another virtual tuner on the same physical tuner and
> you'll get the overlap in both recordings

Soft-padding using the same virtual tuner for the overlap would be better
since on some of my DVB channels I need a CAM and only one virtual tuner at
a time can use the CAM even if they are on the same multiplex.  Last night I
recorded (for my wife!) Grand Designs and Grand Designs (Trade Secrets)
which were back to back on the same channel.  They are on a channel (More 4)
that requires a CAM so they needed to be on the same virtual tuner.  Grand
Designs ran a minute over - and since it was a back-to-back it got cut off.
Wasn't a big problem since the end was at the beginning of the next
recording, but my wife likes to save Grand Designs!  Hard padding would have
tried to use another virtual tuner and not recorded the following programme
since it also needs the CAM.

Hope doesn't write patches, and unfortunately neither can I.  I guess Hope
and I have a lot in common.