[mythtv-users] 1TB USB $225 US

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 19:27:40 UTC 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 2:21 PM, Matt Mossholder
<matt+MythTV-Users at mossholder.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 11:24 -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> > True I guess, on a lightly loaded network.
> >
> > It's just getting pretty stupid. "Gigabit" network can't actually
> > approach that speed, USB can't come close to the advertised speed,
> > "54Mhz." wireless can't come close to that...
> >
> > Why can't manufacturers tell the truth about hardware capabilities?
> >
> > I guess once one outfit starts lying and getting away with it all the
> > rest have to follow suit or get "out marketed".
> >
> > beww
>
> It all comes down to hardware.  A good NIC and switch will come pretty
> darn close to full throttle.   If I take the disks out of the equation
> between the two systems I used in the previous test, I get somewhere
> close to 890Mbit/s.

I believe I have got 980Mbit/s (using netperf) between 3 year old AMD
TYAN motherboards and a netgear 24 or 48 port gigabit switch with that
was in use. But this is much lower (300 to 700Mbit) if you connect to
systems with GBit PCI cards (stay away from realtek).

John

John