[mythtv-users] 1TB USB $225 US

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Feb 11 18:24:20 UTC 2008

Matt Mossholder wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 09:28 -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
>> Now that I think about it some folks reporting success with NFS may be
>> using gigabit ethernet which, especially with fast processors and drive
>> systems, could well approach the speed of USB. The claimed performance
>> of USB2 is certainly optimistic at best, and Linux probably does not
>> have the most efficient implementation of USB, while Linux was "born to
>> network".
>>
>> beww
>
> It is a bit better than "approaching"....

True I guess, on a lightly loaded network.

It's just getting pretty stupid. "Gigabit" network can't actually
approach that speed, USB can't come close to the advertised speed,
"54Mhz." wireless can't come close to that...

Why can't manufacturers tell the truth about hardware capabilities?

I guess once one outfit starts lying and getting away with it all the
rest have to follow suit or get "out marketed".

beww