[mythtv-users] 1TB USB $225 US

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Mon Feb 11 17:56:36 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of jedi at mishnet.org
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 9:22 AM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] 1TB USB $225 US

> jedi at mishnet.org wrote:
>>> Anthony R. Baker wrote:
>> [deletia]
>>> I don't think I'd try using it as the main storage device for a
>>> system with multiple tuners that's going to be heavily used, but for
>>> secondary storage on a lightly used system it should be OK.
>>>
>>> Lots of people use NFS mounts for storage, and that's certainly
>>> slower than USB.
>>
>>    I'm not sure I would go quite that far.
>>
>>    I've had varied results with USB and I've managed to get NFS
>> performance that overlaps well into the performance range for USB.
>
> Now that I think about it some folks reporting success with NFS may be
> using gigabit ethernet which, especially with fast processors and
> drive systems, could well approach the speed of USB. The claimed
> performance

Gigabit is a pretty low bar these days.

I would put a $10-$20 NIC in my desktop box (one of those bargain bin
Compaqs) if not for the fact that it manages to do respectably well over the
LAN even with it's built in 100baseT card.

Rat Shack is shamelessly calling the thing a media center PC.

> of USB2 is certainly optimistic at best, and Linux probably does not
> have the most efficient implementation of USB, while Linux was "born
> to network".

...just imagined Tux on a Harley.

Not sure if anyone knows of this one, but here's a 1TB single drive Hitachi
usb hard drive for $229 from bestbuy.com:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8355497&type=product&id=117711
2455081&AID=10474050&PID=227502&SID=111810-n-1&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.
com%2Fsite%2Folspage.jsp%3FskuId%3D8355497%26type%3Dproduct%26id%3D117711245
5081

If you're gonna get external, I think this would be better than two 500gb
drives unless you want to do a raid.

-Steve