[mythtv-users] 1TB USB $225 US

Anthony R. Baker baker at low-e.com
Mon Feb 11 17:47:47 UTC 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 8:08 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2008 6:28 AM, Anthony R. Baker <baker at low-e.com> wrote:
> >

> >     Does anyone think this wouldn't work for a standard def. system
> > Iomega 1TB Double USB 2.0 Desktop Hard Drive promo price $225.95
> >
> > Anthony R. Baker
> >

> I use only 400mb/S 1394 storage on two different backend server. It
> has always worked well for me. I would have no worries about trying
> USB. It will likely work out fine.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Mark
>

>Actually, it dawned on me that my local MythTV server is actually
>using USB2.0 as storage, not 1394. I use 1394 at a remote location
>only. The local server is two PVR-150 tuners. We often have two
>recordings happening while at the same time we have 3 people watching
>different programs on different TVs. I've never had a problem with the
>system that I could attribute to the disk drives being 'slow'. We've
>got about 18 months on this USB drive.

>If I was looking at HDTV recording then I would have to revisit
>whether this makes sense but for our backend needs it's been fine.

>Again, I hope this helps,
>Mark

    It does I've set up my setup 3 times now because of hardware and while
it seemed like a no-brainer so did some of the other problems I had. One of
the reasons I was thinking of this was to keep the heat in my system down. I
have 2 300GB SATA drives in it now with mythdora on one and storage on the
other. I have most of the free space on the first drive on its own partition
and could let disk manager add it to storage but haven't been forced to
yet.With a usb drive added I would think mounting it to /storage/videos
would be the right thing but should/can I reformat or leave it Fat32?