[mythtv-users] 1TB USB $225 US

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Feb 11 17:21:37 UTC 2008

> jedi at mishnet.org wrote:
>>> Anthony R. Baker wrote:
>> [deletia]
>>> I don't think I'd try using it as the main storage device for a system
>>> with multiple tuners that's going to be heavily used, but for secondary
>>> storage on a lightly used system it should be OK.
>>>
>>> Lots of people use NFS mounts for storage, and that's certainly slower
>>> than USB.
>>
>>    I'm not sure I would go quite that far.
>>
>>    I've had varied results with USB and I've managed to get NFS
>> performance that overlaps well into the performance range for USB.
>
> Now that I think about it some folks reporting success with NFS may be
> using gigabit ethernet which, especially with fast processors and drive
> systems, could well approach the speed of USB. The claimed performance

Gigabit is a pretty low bar these days.

I would put a $10-$20 NIC in my desktop box (one of those
bargain bin Compaqs) if not for the fact that it manages
to do respectably well over the LAN even with it's built
in 100baseT card.

Rat Shack is shamelessly calling the thing a media center PC.

> of USB2 is certainly optimistic at best, and Linux probably does not
> have the most efficient implementation of USB, while Linux was "born to
> network".

...just imagined Tux on a Harley.