[mythtv-users] NAS with MySQL

Ben Ward mythtv at crouchingbadger.com
Mon Feb 11 15:44:22 UTC 2008

Hi Roy,

I bought a Western Digital MyBook World Edition 1 Terabyte NAS shortly
before xmas.  What attracted me to it was the ability to turn on sshd,
mysql, samba, nfs and all that stuff.

Unfortunately what I discovered was the Oxford Semiconductor RISC processor
was not up to the job of writing to the disk using sftp, nfs or samba.
Writing to the disk using these protocols usually caused some kind of I/O
error and the file would be left half-copied.  As that was its sole purpose
in life, I couldn't live with it, and have taken out the disk and mounted it
with USB2 in a new enclosure.  So much for network attached media servage.

I would be very careful as the Oxsemi stuff is used in many NAS boxes these
days and as you're using it in an unsupported way (ie. not using their
crappy install disk) you can't take it back when it fails to work as
designed.

Ben

On 11/02/2008, Roy Lofthouse <lofty69 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking of getting a NAS box and was wondering how many people
> are using this in their Myth setups?
>
> What I'm really after is one with MySQL support so the myth database
> can go on there too.. is this possible? It would be good to be able to
> view mythweb while the master server is offline.
>
> I was thinking of getting one of the QNAP boxes or building one and
> using Freenas (does this support MySQL?)
>
> Cheers

ben at crouchingbadger.com | http://crouchingbadger.com
51.717817,-1.225855