[mythtv-users] 1TB USB $225 US

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 15:26:56 UTC 2008

> I've used a couple of different USB external drives with success. I
> never recorded on them, I recorded onto a PATA drive, then copied the
> recordings to a USB drive using myth_archive_job (not to be confused
> with mytharchive).

I use a 1 TB MyBook (from WD) as my main storage drive, connected via
USB2 (no firewire on this machine). I've got two SD tuners (PVR-250),
and I don't think I've had any problems recording two shows at once,
commflagging one, and watching another. Although I do, on occasion,
have some stuttering ... not sure whether it's the overhead of USB,
the gobs of logging that the system seems to like to do when I access
the USB devices, or if it's that the drive can't quite keep up. I
should, perhaps, mention that I'm still on a 2.4 kernel, so perhaps
there have been improvements in 2.6...

I initially thought I'd set mine up the way you have, Brian, but when
I was originally setting it up, I found that I was getting lots of
playback lag while writing to the USB drive (the playback was from the
internal (PATA) drive). So then I just set it to record to the USB
drive directly.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as a great solution, but for my
setup it works well.

But, my experience may not scale to the general population: I haven't
had any problems at all with the system and database living on the
same drive, and recordings on another partition of the same drive. :)

--
aaron

"Oh oh oh. I'm incoherent with excitement. Please tell me what fascinating
bit of badger-sputumly inconsequential trivia you will assail me with next."
        -- Arthur Dent