[mythtv-users] Friendly Messenger stating that "YOUR MYTHWEB IS INSECURE"

Jacob Steenhagen jacob at steenhagen.us
Mon Feb 11 15:23:53 UTC 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 10:07 AM, Anthony Zawacki <azmail at thezawackis.com> wrote:
> I use ipcop as my firewall, and port forward to port 22 on my main
> computer.  Before I did that, I could look in /var/log/secure and see at
> least 5 attacks per hour.  Now I don't see any.

You could also add DenyHosts as a reactive rather than proactive
solution. It monitors /var/log/secure and blocks connections (either
ALL or just SSH) from IP addresses that have invalid logins. Even
though I have SSH set up to not allow root to login, I have DenyHosts
set up to block any future connections for anybody that tries to ssh
to root even a single time. It also has different settings for how
many attempts are allowed for valid logins, invalid logins, and
restricted accounts (like apache, mysql, etc).

--
http://jacob.steenhagen.us