[mythtv-users] silent monochrome

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Feb 11 15:23:50 UTC 2008

ash wrote:
> hi
>
> first post (woo hoo!) after a brief lurk, and a few weeks experimenting
>
> i have got mythbuntu up and running, and although i seem to have the cd
> /dvd side of things down, my tv experience is less satisfactory
>
> i have managed to stream foxtel (cable) via the s-video, although in all
> honesty i don't really know why the picture finally showed up after many
> attempts at getting the input recognised
>
> it'll time shift (great!)  but the sound and colour are not happening;
> so whilst i appreciate the experience is a little like cinema starting
> with silent black & white, i would like to have talkies in glorious colour

S-Video without color is often caused by a bent or broken pin in the
connector. The fact that you had trouble getting it working indicates to
me something wrong with your interconnect. You might try using just the
composite signal and see if that works in color (pardon my yankee spelling).

> the "cable" input is via analogue into an audigy2 for sound, and the
> s-video in on a winfast2000xp
> output is via a 6600vivo with proprietary drivers

You're feeding the audio into your sound card? Not the capture card? I'm
not familiar with the Leadtek but somehow that doesn't sound correct (no
pun intended).

> i am not a complete n00b but linux is not my first language :-)
> i admit to being better in winxp and i certainly prefer gui given a
> choice, and i am not a natural command line sort of guy but can use
> terminal under duress :-P

Always nice to see a Windows Weenie moving towards a real operating system.

> thanks for any assistance, and please have mercy on my ignorance
>
> it has been a pretty painless experience thus far, although i have to
> admit i am just fiddling with the settings and learning as i go (just
> like i did with win3.0 all those years ago)

3.0? That was a real nightmare, almost as bad as XP :-)

beww