[mythtv-users] Second Backend disabling primary backend tuners

Taco Mel taco_mel at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 11 04:36:14 UTC 2008

> I have a front end / backend system with centos 5
running on each.  The
> back end has all the storage and connects to a
hdhomerun for two channels
> of HD tuning.  The front end mainly gets used for
watching live tv and
> recordings stored on the back end.

I have almost exactly this same setup, plus a PVR-500
in the master backend, and it works fine.

> I do still want to watch some non-HD TV, at least
while it still lasts for
> the next year or so, and so have put a pvr-350 in
the front end.  There
> are a couple of issues getting the secondary back
end to work and I wonder
> if anyone out there has figured out how to get past
this.

I have a PVR-150 in the front end, but again, our
setups are quite similar and I can confirm that this
works.

> 1) The secondary backend does not start up properly
with the
> /etc/init.d/mythbackend script.

If this is a recent subversion release, it could be
that the home directory environment variable ($HOME)
is not set, which will make any MythTV binary exit
with an error.  It used to be that in such a case you
would create /.mythtv/mysql.txt and that would work.
Not sure how your /etc/init.d/mythbackend script is
written but it sounds like it is not finding the
desired $HOME/.mythtv/mysql.txt file.  If you figure
out which one it is finding, and/or for a recent
subversion release set $HOME in the init script, you
should be able to make this work.

> 2) Once the secondary backend is running, it seems
to supercede the old
> tuner list, so that now only the analog channels are
availabe.  I don't
> know whether this issue is related to issue #1.

I assume that you have run mythtv-setup on the slave
backend, added the tuner, and associated it with a
lineup.  The lineup should reflect only the channels
that can be tuned, in your case, analog only.  In my
case, the PVR-150 in my front end sees a different
channel lineup than the tuners in the back end
(because the connected DirecTV box has HD service) so
I had to create a separate Schedules Direct lineup and
associate it with that tuner.  I don't have a lot of
input for this situation except to tell you to try
watching the mythbackend output on both the master and
the slave.