[mythtv-users] Suse Slave Startup issue

Graham Smith gqsmith at tpg.com.au
Sun Feb 10 07:13:28 UTC 2008

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008, Jon wrote:
> On Feb 8, 2008, at 9:14 AM, Andreas wrote:
>
> Also, I have both the front and backend, plus themes installed on
> this box (it's a slave backend, but who knows when I might want to
> watch tv in the computer room. I should also switch the locations,
> and put the master in the comp room and the slave by the tv... but I
> digress)
>
> So, yea, functionally, everything appears to be setup right, but
> still no boot. Also, I was wondering, when I reboot the master
> backend, it hangs the slave up. Is there some way to tell the slave
> to shutdown before the master does?
>
> ~Jon

Firstly I think you may have caused problems using
 #chkconfig mythbackend 35
as I stated before you should use insserv instead.

Try removing mythbackend and re-activating it using the following commands
insserv -r mythbackend

insserv mythbackend

To check the init scripts are correct use
insserv -v

If it still does not start on boot after that check your log messages to see
why it is failing to start. The logs in particular are
 /var/log/boot.msg
/var/log/messages

Also I suggest you read the man page on insserv as it covers some of the
important points on how SUSE sets up the init scripts. There is also more
info in /etc/init.d/README.

--
Regards,

Graham Smith