[mythtv-users] Re-doing my backend

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Feb 10 00:43:12 UTC 2008

David Frascone wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2008 4:28 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
>
>> The better solution, IMHO, is small disk for the OS with at least 2
>> partitions, and rsyncing the important data to the the big video disk
>> every night with cron. The OS disk partitions include one for '/', one
>> for /home (which stores copies of important stuff from /etc too) and
>> possibly one for /var (so that /var/lib/mysql is not on the OS
>> partition). Revising /etc/my.cnf can put mysql at /home/msyql, hitting 2
>> birds with one stone. (This is for Fedora)
>>
>> Note that if your log files (in /var) fill the partition, then Fedora
>> (linux generally?) may crash and will not re-boot. If running myth you
>> may suddenly find that there are no programs displayed in 'Watch
>> Recordings' (since mysql cannot now write to
>> /var/lib/mysql/mythconverg). All is not lost however!
>>
>> Note that the OS and /home etc will easily fit in 12 or 13 G harddrive,
>> IF you can find one!
>>

> Why rsync over a raid1?
>
> And, how can I raid 1 two distinct partitions on two distinct disks . . .
> smells like lvm.
>
> As far as disk filling goes, I fix that with my frontends by loop-back
> mounting their root filesystems.  So, They have 10Gb or so "disks" that I
> loopback mount, and *then* nfs export, so that if they go crazy log-wise,
> they only kill themselves.
>
> This will be harder with the backend being the server -- I may put /var into
> it's own partition . . .

I didn't say anything about raid. I'm just talking about having a
relatively small disk dedicated to the OS only. It has some partitioning
to separate things which should/must be saved from operational things
which can be overwritten if a new OS version is installed. For a myth
box, the database is the most important thing, plus copies of the setup
so we don't have to fight to restore things...and that is actually not a
very large list of files. And there is no advantage in 'raid'ing the OS
disk.

All recorded programs go on other disk(s). With storage groups, you can
add storage disks basically at will. Since these are 'just' tv programs,
I don't think that a raid array is warranted *for this sort of data*.
Some people do use raid storage, but that presents its own problems.

Geoff