[mythtv-users] HELP! Fedora 8 - hard lockup whenever I plug in the firewire cable from my DCT6416 STB

William Munson w.munson at comcast.net
Sat Feb 9 22:08:49 UTC 2008

I am stuck right now. I thought it was my upgraded install of F8 but it
does it with a virgin install. In fact it does it when booting from the
Live CD. Here is the issue.

I recently got a HD STB and am trying to use it with my myth system.
When I plug in the cable and boot the system the system will hard lock
part way thru the boot process. If I allow the system to boot and
hotplug the cable the drive lite will flash for a minute or so and then
the system will hard lock. Its not the STB as I test loaded a copy of
ubuntu 7.10 and it works fine. Only thing is I cannot stand ubuntu and
it gives me much greif whenever I want to do some work as root. I also
have not been able to get Xorg to play nice with my HD tv under ubuntu.

I am sure the STB is working fine as I can run plugreport under ubuntu
and get the following output.

Host Adapter 0
==============

Node 0 GUID 0x0040ca070105fc56
------------------------------
libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR

Node 1 GUID 0x001aadfffe35b2e4
------------------------------
oMPR n_plugs=1, data_rate=2, bcast_channel=63
oPCR[0] online=1, bcast_connection=0, n_p2p_connections=0
        channel=0, data_rate=2, overhead_id=0, payload=376
iMPR n_plugs=0, data_rate=2

I think this indicates that the STB is active and talking to  the
computer. What can I do to make Fedora 8 play nice with my STB? Anyone
run into this one before? I have googled but there is too much info and
most of it seems old and very confusing.

TIA,
Bill