[mythtv-users] Pointers for MythTV frontend on Koolu?

Steve Daniels steve.p.daniels at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 9 20:40:42 UTC 2008

On 09/02/2008, Ted Roche <tedroche at gmail.com> wrote:
> New to the list; be gentle ;)
>
> Just picked up a Koolu (http://www.koolu.org) as a frontend for
> MythTV, and followed the instructions at
>
> http://forum.koolu.org/viewtopic.php?t=2 to install the custom video drivers and
>
> http://forum.koolu.org/viewtopic.php?t=5 to install the MythTV front end.
>
> I used Xorg -configure to generate a default xorg.conf to hook up a
> Samsung LN-R238W 23" 720p LCD as the monitor.
>
> On the backend, I'm capturing ATSC off Comcast Cable, New Hampshire US
> using a WinTV PVR-150 and I believe I've left most of the settings at
> default.
>
> Following https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallLirc/Feisty got the
> infrared control that came with the PVR-150 backend to work as a
> remote control, and I was up and running.
>
> Performance is a bit lagging, with fast motion causing video artifacts
> and occasion stuttering. Top shows the CPU cruising at 85 - 95%. I
> understand it's an underpowered Geode CPU, but it's supposed to have
> hardware MPEG decoder to offload a lot of the processing. I would
> welcome suggestions on how to tune it up for better  performance.
> Pointers on where to start troubleshooting or to additional resources
> would be appreciated.
>
> Ted Roche

Hi Ted,

Please pardon my ignorance here..

On http://forum.koolu.org/viewtopic.php?t=5 it says "It is recommended
that the backend supply mpeg4 video.", I don't know what format the
video you get from the PVR-150 is, but is it mpeg4? If not, have you
tried transcoding to mpeg4 and seeing how it handles?

Steve Daniels