[mythtv-users] Friendly Messenger stating that "YOUR MYTHWEB IS INSECURE"

Chris Everest chriseverest at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 20:10:28 UTC 2008

Hello to everyone on the list.  I recently noticed while checking my
upcoming recordings that channel 10's name was recently changed to "YOUR
MYTHWEB IS INSECURE".  So I first want to thank whomever sent this friendly
message.  First, my specific thanks go for not destroying my entire system
and second my thanks go to being smart enough to change the channel name on
one of my upcoming recording (so that I would notice it).

So now on to the problem.  I think we are secure now, so whomever you are,
you may try again to test my setup if you haven't already.  I'm not going to
provide the url for obvious reasons.  I use an apache proxy at my internet
gateway machine to forward requests into the local network.  Mythweb is one
of those proxied local machines.  Here's where my insecurity came from.  The
below config for proxy seems to be the secure method.  What I was trying to
accomplish was securing only the mythweb proxy by using  <Proxy /mythweb>
rather than <Proxy *> to define the auth method.  Why can't I use auth only
for the mythweb portion?  It seems that I have to auth all proxies to use
security properly.  I am pretty well versed in most apache config, so this
one has stumped me.  I suppose that I'll get on the apache list too, but
this was myth specific enough to talk to the group.

<IfModule mod_proxy.c>
ProxyRequests Off

<Proxy *>
#<Proxy /mythweb> didn't work, i.e. didn't prompt for auth
    Order deny,allow
    Allow from all
    AuthType Digest
    AuthName "MythWeb"