[mythtv-users] NVP: Video is 30 frames behind audio (too slow), dropping frame to catch up

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Feb 9 06:15:10 UTC 2008

On 02/08/2008 06:41 PM, Mark Hutchinson wrote:
> Time for a fresh thread.
> Here is a verbose log from my frontend.
> I am getting dropped frames, and resulting poor video and sound.
> NVidia 8600, SVN, Firewire DCT6200 capture, SPDIF working with .asoundrc
> Core2duo 6300 (1.86ghz ), Raptor 32 gig with OS and database, 500 Gig
> SATA with /video for recordings etc....
>
> Why all the dropping frames?
>
> Really need to get this fixed, anyone see any problems?
>
> Log attached.  Lots of removed dropped messages to save space on the log

My recommendation is to concentrate first on getting it to work with
analog audio output.  Once that's done (i.e. once you know Myth is
configured/working properly), then modify your ALSA configuration to use
S/PDIF out.  I.e. walk before you try to run.

With your sound card, renaming /etc/asound.conf and ~/.asoundrc (i.e. so
you're using all ALSA defaults) should be a good analog test.

Mike