[mythtv-users] AppleTV with Linux

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Fri Feb 8 21:44:36 UTC 2008

>Alright, I read some of the forum posts over there and I'm game - even
>though it still doesn't look like it's for the faint of heart.  Well,
>when you get that penstick Mythbuntu distro for AppleTV working, I'm
>definitely in.  That's would be plenty close enough, even if I have to
>open up the box and grab the efi firmware off the harddrive.  Off to
>E-bay I go now...You'll be done with that in 5-7 days, right? ;)

for prep, grab the AppleTV 1.1 update from
http://mesu.apple.com/data/OS/061-2988.20070620.bHy75/2Z694-5248-45.dmg
and extract boot.efi (see
http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Boot.efi_Information#Availability) .
That's the one file we cannot distribute.

With that file and my new bootloader, you will not need to open the AppleTV.

It's recommended to backup the original contents (see
http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Backup_your_original_Hard_Drive). You
don't need an existing OSX box. All this can be done under Linux. If
you see references to parted, remember that you will need the patched
version to create the proper GUID partitions (see
http://forum.awkwardtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=301).

The next decision is a) replace entire contents with a Linux or b)
reduce the size of the existing media partiton and create new
partitons for Linux. I found b) more complicated.

Since I have lots of 2.5 hard drive, I opened mine and replaced it
with different one for linux work. That way I can bounce back and
forth in tracking issues.

A powered USB 2.0 hub and external USB hard drive is also recommended
(backup to where?). You will need the hub as the AppleTV only has one
USB port.