[mythtv-users] AppleTV with Linux

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 21:21:09 UTC 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 12:26 PM,  <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> So yes there will be "PC" drivers. They will be targeted for a
> particualar "PC" OS. However, the fact that they are generic is
> VERY relevant.

Exactly.  They're targeted for a particular OS.  So they're NOT "PC"
drivers.  And they're NOT generic.  Calling different distributed
flavors of Linux "generic" doesn't apply either.  You wouldn't expect
drivers from a PPC Mac to work in Yellowdog Linux or some other PPC
unix build, even though it's the same hardware, and vice versa.  You
don't call them "generic RISC drivers" or "generic PPC drivers".  The
fact that current Apple computers are x86-based doesn't automatically
make Linux-based drivers better than the ones supplied by the
manufacturer.

Support their products or not, it comes down to really understanding
the particular business model (and I really hope this doesn't start up
some kind of flame war).  Part of the reason some expect Apple's
software to be more stable on Apple's built machines is because they
control the product end-to-end.  They know, and only have to worry
about, the precise hardware that is in every MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac,
what have you.  They don't have to worry about as many generic,
sub-par components running the OS (not when it comes to things very
specialized, like motherboard, cpu & video card).  So the claim that
their hardware drivers under their OS might be more stable than
community-supplied drivers, I'd wager is pretty accurate.  "Better",
being closed-source?  Maybe not.  But definitely likely to be just as
stable if not more stable.

- Willy