[mythtv-users] Linux Backend, MacOS X in a VM, Fox/ABC VOD integration

Wade Maxfield mythtv at hotblack.co.nz
Fri Feb 8 10:35:31 UTC 2008

Richard Ablewhite wrote:

> So the questions,
>
> 1) has anyone managed to reliable watch videos from fox.com or abc.com
> in wine, cedega or cxoffice in linux? If so problem solved.
> 2) How does MythTV perform on Mac OSX these days?
> 3) Has anyone ran Mac OS X in a vm, hows video performance, or hows MythTV run?
>
> If anyone has any suggestions or experience or comments please let me know
>
> Cheers,
>
> Wig

2)
Myth itself runs fine. I'm limited to only SD (in NZ) and a G4 533DP
upwards is all you need to get that to work. An Intel Mini 1.66 is
overkill (runs at about 15% CPU according to top) on SD.
The only real issues with running it on OS X at the moment are: (this is
using 0.20.2-fixes)

Limited choice of remotes. The Apple remote really doesn't cut it.  I'd
like to be able to use the MCE remote that I'm using on my MythDora
boxes. ATI remotes are recommended but scarce in NZ so I haven't tried one.
Hitting W to change aspect ratios doesn't work. OSD reflects the change,
but the video doesn't move.  That's only a problem for those
channels/recordings that are really 16:9 but are captured at 4:3 via my
PVR-150 card.
Don't know about MythMusic or MythGallery, I've never had call to use them.
Bob deinterlacing doesn't seem to work on my machines.

I believe the deinterlacing and aspect ratio stuff is about to get
better with 0.21.

3)
Not something I've done, or would talk about here seeing as that's
against the EULA for Mac OS X. 8(