[mythtv-users] CPU not enough to drive 1080P? Core2duo

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 01:25:36 UTC 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 9:21 AM, aaron <memoryguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/7/08, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> >
> > My GeForce 4 MX 440 drives full 1080p.
> >

> This might be asking the obvious, but it's all the "other stuff" ---
> such as main CPU power --- that determines how well 1080p content (or
> HD in general) will play, right?
>
> Am I correct in my understanding that the 440MX will support XvMC? I'm
> pretty sure I'll need that to have a hope in heck of playing any HD on
> my system --- once I finally get my a TV. I've got an AthlonXP 2800+.
> :)

I nearly drove myself batty trying to get an XP 2800+ to drive 1080i without
XvMC.  I spent weeks optimizing every possible parameter.  The result?
Sometimes it would work great.  But for any challenging output, it would
stutter.

I finally bit the bullet and upgraded the mobo and CPU.  I think I got both
in a combo deal at Frys for less than $100.

Best $100, I ever spent.  Now it decodes HD great.  And consumes less power,
generates less heat and operates much quieter.

Tom