[mythtv-users] Delay start time on just one channel?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Feb 7 22:59:27 UTC 2008

On 02/07/2008 05:34 PM, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> * On Thu Feb 07, 2008 at 01:25:42PM -0800, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>
>> mysql> update record set endtime = (endtime + 02) where chanid = 1037
>> AND ( endtime LIKE '%30:00' or endtime LIKE '%00:00'  );
>> Again, don't blame me if your database blows up and your house catches
>> on fire destroying the whole neighborhood. Use at your own risk and
>> all that. ;)
>>

> How about if it doesn't work? :)  The endtime in the record table is
> not used to know when to stop recording, it's the program.endtime value
> that is used.
>
> For scheduling, the record starttime is used to match up to the program
> table for "record at this time" rules, but the end time (and hence
> program length) are not checked against the program table.

Not to mention that there are chanid values in all rules (i.e. "Any
channel" rules).  So, if the poor unsuspecting user happened to select
an episode airing on the off-time channel to create an any channel rule,
that rule will now only work for the broken channel but will cut off the
beginning on all other channels.

This is why editing the DB directly is never the right solution unless
you know exactly how it all works.  Generally, if you know much about
how it works, you know that you don't know exactly how it works, so
you're smart enough to use the UI, instead.  (With maybe 3 or 4
exceptions, I don't think anyone can say they know exactly how the
scheduler works.)

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/314374#314374 is the
only correct solution that's been posted so far.  (If I do say so, myself.)

Mike