[mythtv-users] Fedora Core 4 upgrade recomendations

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Feb 7 21:17:18 UTC 2008

David George wrote:
> On 02/06/2008 08:16 AM, Paul Netherwood wrote:
>> Hi
>>

>> I’m currently running MythTV 0.19 on Fedora Core 4 and want to upgrade
>> both MythTV and Fedora to the latest. I have a number of choices:
>>
>> Upgrades will hopefully preserve my MythTV installation which I can
>> then upgrade with yum. A fresh install means I have to go through the
>> whole MythTV install process again.

> Definitely go for the fresh install.

I agree with David. Except for your mythconverg database and the mpeg
files, everything is trash. You need to make a database backup using
mysqldump and for reference save copies of machine and network specific
things (/etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/modprobe.conf)...all the
stuff you agonized over getting correct but no longer remember! And
things like lircd.conf, lircrc etc.

Basically everything else needs to be replaced anyway. Even the external
helper programs you have (azap, xine, mplayer) will need new versions,
so trash it all.

Give some thought to replacing your OS disk or adding another. Under
Fedora, /var/ should be on its own partition, unless you re-set mysql to
use a different place (in my.cnf). For convenience, /home can be on its
own partition, and mysql can point to that partition if you want.

And you can really reduce the size of the install by not installing
programs which are not relevant to a mythbox.

Geoff