[mythtv-users] CPU not enough to drive 1080P? Core2duo

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 17:21:30 UTC 2008

On 2/7/08, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> My GeForce 4 MX 440 drives full 1080p.

This might be asking the obvious, but it's all the "other stuff" ---
such as main CPU power --- that determines how well 1080p content (or
HD in general) will play, right?

Am I correct in my understanding that the 440MX will support XvMC? I'm
pretty sure I'll need that to have a hope in heck of playing any HD on
my system --- once I finally get my a TV. I've got an AthlonXP 2800+.

I've never been able to get the XvMC stuff to give me anything other
than an error, but I strongly suspect it's because my distro is old
enough (Slackware 9.2, I think) that the X server doesn't properly
include XvMC (missing headers or something), so I'm pretty sure I'll
need to bite the bullet and upgrade to Slackware 12.0.

"Oh oh oh. I'm incoherent with excitement. Please tell me what fascinating
bit of badger-sputumly inconsequential trivia you will assail me with next."
        -- Arthur Dent