[mythtv-users] "Odometer" Threads

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 7 02:52:29 UTC 2008

Jon wrote:

> Yea, that sounds about right. Someone waaay up the ladder said no,
> and nobody can question it, because there's so many levels of
> management to get through that you'd lose your job long before
> winning that fight. I doubt your buddies have any really control of
> anything that goes in the boxes if they're technical... why would
> people with engineering degrees need to decide how to build systems?
> Gotta love corporate culture.

I really think that the contract(s) they have with program suppliers
prohibit them from doing so.

Or, more likely, the contracts are worded so ambiguously that at least
some people at DISH believe that the language COULD be interpreted that
way, and finding out the hard way would cost a LOT more time and money
than simply saying "NO!", which costs them nothing.

I have to admit that from their perspective they are probably correct.

In any case DISH is unlikely to do anything about CPE boxes until this
TiVo thing is resolved.

OTOH maybe just making boxes that output MPEG, leaving the PVR/DVR
functions for the subscriber to deal with, might get them out of
problems with TiVo, or at least give them an alternative if they really
wind up having to disable the present boxes.

beww