[mythtv-users] Live TV tuners conflicting with schedule recordings too often

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 02:26:28 UTC 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 10:02 PM, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 18:11 -0500, Matt wrote:
> >    I'm seeing more and more issues where I'm constantly being
> > presented with the dialog that myth is going to record something in 30
> > seconds, and asking me if I want to watch and record, record and go
> > back to main menu, or don't record.
> >
> > However - it's ridiculous that it's even asking me.  Why?  Because
> > I've got enough tuners.
>
> 0.20-fixes:
>  Setup->TV Settings->General->
>  "Avoid conflicts between live TV and scheduled shows"
>
> In trunk you probably want this new option just below it:
>  "Allow live TV to move scheduled shows"
>

> The first option just uses the last available recorder for live tv,
> rather than the first. Since scheduled recordings start with the
> first recorder this avoids a lot of conflicts.
>
> The second option allows the scheduler to move recordings scheduled
> for one recorder to another "equivalent" one if LiveTV is using the
> recorder it intended to use. If the scheduler can't find a replacement
> recorder it will still ask you what to do. The popup will also tell
> you now, if the scheduled recording[s] could be made at a later time.+
>
>  + This is a simplified explanation, it's a bit more complicated when
>    you take input groups into account. Suffice it to say, if you use
>    LiveTV for purposes other than just testing, you probably want this
>    feature enabled.
>
> -- Daniel

Daniel -

Thanks, the explanation actually makes perfect sense and I think that
solution is ideal.  I'm running a version of SVN from right before the
multi-recording because after such a big merge I wanted some of the
kinks to be worked out and now I'm just waiting for a few more things
to stabilize before I upgrade again.  I follow the commits list, but
don't remember seeing this specifically mentioned in any of the
comments/descriptions.

I can tell you that the wife will be excited and be a heck of a lot
more likely to stop using the STB to watch live TV because of this.

Thanks!
Matt S.