[mythtv-users] "Odometer" Threads

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 7 01:32:14 UTC 2008

Tom Dexter wrote:

> However, someone on slashdot pointed out something rather
> interesting...since they are in fact using GPLed code, this very
> lawsuit is in fact an admission that they are violating the GPL.  How
> can you legally have anything that you consider proprietary alongside
> GPLed code?

I'm not so sure about that, as long as they make their source code
available I think they are OK with the GPL, at least version 2, but I
agree it violates the spirit of the license.

It might not be TiVo who is the problem. They may well have contracted a
third-party to do the design for them, and it might be that party who is
the problem, but they are ultimately responsible and should have looked
into that.

There was a problem with the GP2X and problems getting the source code
from the third party, I think it has been resolved though. The problem
was the NDAs that had to be signed to get the specs on the video chips.

beww