[mythtv-users] "Odometer" Threads

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Feb 6 21:17:37 UTC 2008

On Feb 6, 2008, at 12:46 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> I just can't see how that patent could possibly have been granted.
> There
> is so much prior art it seems impossible to me.
>
> But then again, patents are granted by the government.

And frankly the patent office doesn't have the funding or technical
expertise to work it out.  This is probably because the business lobby
wants it that way; having a weak patent office is in their interests.
I suspect the patent office just issues what's requested and figures
the legal system will overturn the patent if there really is prior art.