[mythtv-users] "Odometer" Threads

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Feb 6 20:50:48 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 01:46:04PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> Certainly the early Avids (non-linear video editors) had this
> "technology", and I think that was in the early 90's as well. I think
> they introduced their open media framework in 1994, well before TiVo's
> patent application.

We had an Avid at the small cable network I worked at in 93.  You could
do it, but it was *so* hard to get real broadcast NTSC quality that
they had about 6 lower res modes for the actual editing, then you'd
conform.

Now, of course, you can do full-scan HDTV on a laptop.

> The Tektronix PDR series obviously duplicated this technology, based on
> the futurebus in, I believe, 1987 (at least on paper). Tektronix
> eventually standardized on MJPEG, close enough to MPEG to obviate that
> TiVo patent IMHO.

Probably.  If someone can convince Tek that this patent will impact
Profile sales, it will go away.

Anyone know anybody at Tek?

Cheers,
-- jra