[mythtv-users] "Odometer" Threads

Brian Steele steele.brian at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 17:31:37 UTC 2008

> Wow.
>
> Does anyone have that patent number handy?  I haven't read it, but I'm
> pretty sure it's actually bogus.  Anyone an EFF member?
>
> Excellent point, though, Brian; I hadn't thought of that.

Here's a link to the text of the patent:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=IeoIAAAAEBAJ&dq=6233389

If you read it, the patent explicitly refers to separating the audio
and video streams of the incoming TV signal and storing them
separately, then recombining them later during playback.  My
understanding is that Myth doesn't do that and therefore would not be
infringing on the patent.  Of course, I'm not a lawyer so what do I
know?