[mythtv-users] "Odometer" Threads

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Feb 6 17:29:22 UTC 2008

On 02/06/2008 12:06 PM, Drew wrote:
> I'm no legal expert but it seems to me that there's a massive hole in
> the patent that any 'modern' PVR software could waltz right through.
> The patent specifies that the data moves through the system as an
> 'MPEG stream' BUT unlike the 'Input Module' there is no clause that
> broadens the choice of formats.
>
> Couldn't someone just write a PVR system that uses, for example, xvid

Oh, you mean MPEG-4

> or h.264

or MPEG-4 AVC

>  and bypass the whole patent?

Perhaps with, NuppelVideo (container) using RTJPEG (CODEC)...  Anytime
you have a MPEG Systems Stream (container) or use any MPEG CODEC in any
container, you're using the colloquial MPEG format.

Oh, and then there's MP3 audio, i.e. MPEG-1 Part 3 Audio Layer 3, or MP1
or MP2 (Audio Layers 1 and 2, respectively).  Might be close enough even
if using NUV/RTJPEG with MPEG audio.  I don't know whether AAC (Advanced
Audio Coding), which is specified as Part 7 of the MPEG-2 standard and
Part 3 of the MPEG-4 standard, would be considered "MPEG" (but, if
decided by a jury, I wouldn't be surprised if it were).

A rose by any other name is stilled owned by TiVo, Inc.  ;)

Mike