[mythtv-users] "Odometer" Threads

Drew drew.kay at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 17:06:12 UTC 2008

> Whoever granted that patent should be re-educated, as it is dated 1998
> and such things were being done long before that. Clearly "prior art"
> was totally ignored. Also the "obvious application of current
> technology" idea should apply as well.

I'm no legal expert but it seems to me that there's a massive hole in
the patent that any 'modern' PVR software could waltz right through.
The patent specifies that the data moves through the system as an
'MPEG stream' BUT unlike the 'Input Module' there is no clause that
broadens the choice of formats.

Couldn't someone just write a PVR system that uses, for example, xvid
or h.264 and bypass the whole patent?

-Drew