[mythtv-users] best way to compress DVD video

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Wed Feb 6 16:57:20 UTC 2008

Hello, i have a few movies that i have used mythtv to compress them and put
them into my "my videos" section of mythtv.
I recently had the idea: let my compare one of my dvd's to a bit torrent
dvd...so i downloaded the same video as one of my videos from bit torrent.

The quality of the bit torrent video was much better than mine...in fact, on
my 55" tv, it looked DVD quality, where as my video file is obviously
compressed. Both videos take up right around 800mb total, and both are 2
hours and 15 minutes long. If my video was to be around 400mb and the same
quality, i'd understand, but it is almost the same size (within 5 mb) as the
bit torrent downloaded video.

That is around 6mb per minute of video.

Does mythtv just not have the high quality settings that are available to
other video converter programs?

-Thanks