[mythtv-users] Watching active recordings stops on remote frontends

Jarett Creason nobleiceman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 22:12:10 UTC 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 12:38 PM, Josh White <jaw1959 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My backend is running on Ubuntu 7.10, and I have a frontend running on
> Ubuntu 7.10, a frontend on Mythbuntu, and two frontends running on Mac OS
> X 10.4.  I've never experienced the issue you describe with any of them.
>

> On Feb 5, 2008 3:22 PM, lists_mythtv_users <
> lists_mythtv_users at bigpizza.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Josh White wrote:
> > > I'm not experiencing the problem, and I'm also running the same
> > > version on the same OS.  You MUST be doing it wrong :-)
> > >
> > Well, there's only so many ways you can start watching a recording
> > that's currently in progress. :-)
> >
> > I've got a separate frontend and backend.  Backend runs on an OpenSUSE
> > 10.3 box and uses a 3ware RAID card for storage.  It uses XFS with
> > allocsize set to 512M on mount to prevent fragmentation.  The frontend
> > uses Ubuntu 7.10.  The recordings directory is shared out from the
> > backend box over the LAN using NFS.  How does your setup differ?
> >
> > > On Feb 5, 2008 3:11 PM, lists_mythtv_users
> > > <lists_mythtv_users at bigpizza.co.uk
> > > <mailto:lists_mythtv_users at bigpizza.co.uk>> wrote:
> > >
> > >     lists_mythtv_users wrote:
> > >     > Jarett Creason wrote:
> > >     >
> > >     >> Hey all,
> > >     >>
> > >     >> I'm having a problem with my Myth setup (0.20.2), I searched
> > the
> > >     >> archives but couldn't find this...  Yesterday, I set the Super
> > >     Bowl to
> > >     >> record from my master backend/frontend machine, and it uses the
> > >     >> HDHomeRun tuner.  On that machine, I was able to go to the
> > >     recordings
> > >     >> screen, select the recoding and tell it to play, then jump up
> > >     to "real
> > >     >> time" and watch it as it happens.  I have two other remote
> > >     frontends I
> > >     >> also wanted to watch the game from.  I did the same thing, went
> > the
> > >     >> recordings menu, played the recording, then jumped to a few
> > seconds
> > >     >> behind real time, but then the playback would exit back to the
> > >     >> recordings screen, like the recording was over.  I tried again,
> > but
> > >     >> this time I'd jump to a minute behind, but then after a minute
> > >     or so,
> > >     >> it would exit again, like the recording was done.  What I
> > >     figured out
> > >     >> was that when I press play on the recording, where ever the
> > >     stream is
> > >     >> currently at, that's where it exits once it reaches that point,
> > >     like
> > >     >> it doesn't update how long the recording is while it plays.
> > >     >>
> > >     >> For example (since I may not be too clear), I press play on the
> > >     Super
> > >     >> Bowl, and when I first get the picture, I press the info
> > >     button, and
> [...]

I have the problem (as the first email said), and I have two frontends, both
running Mythbuntu (Ubuntu 7.10, Myth 0.20.2).  My backend is also a frontend
and has MythDora 4.0 (Fedora Core 6, Myth 0.20.2).  It records to it's own
500GB IDE hard drive on an XFS file system.  The recording directory is
shared out via CIFS, and mounted on each box...  This is a pain... but I'm
glad I'm not the only one with the problem (sorry for you though).

Jarett