[mythtv-users] XM Radio, anyone?

Josh TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com
Tue Feb 5 15:24:24 UTC 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 2:27 PM, Jarett Creason <nobleiceman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2008 11:41 AM, David Frascone <frasconebulk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 3, 2008 2:33 PM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >  On Feb 3, 2008 1:19 PM, David Frascone <frasconebulk at gmail.com>
> > > wrote:
> > > I am for sure interested.  About 6 months ago i went through the wiki
> > > guide and got some stations working but could never get Squiz (48) which is
> > > my fav and without that didnt like it so much.  Also, it would be sweet if
> > > we could display the song title and artist on the GUI.  Using MythUI, just
> > > like the clock or MythMusic Mini player.  I relize this would be much more
> > > complex but would be cool just to see some more developement done.
> > >

> > I *think* I used some sort of myth OSD for my callerid hack, so I should
> > be able to use that instead of the silly popup -- I'll check into it, and
> > post again when I get close to something releasable.  I'll be out of town
> > this week, so that will be a good time for me to do some code cleanup, then
> > I can test next week, and mail again!
> >
> > -Dave
> >

> I wrote an installer script for those XM scripts on the wiki awhile back
> and put it back on the wiki.  It does the auto menu generation, groups by
> genre, allows different sorting and refreshes the channels every night via
> cron if you want it to.  It puts the entry in the media library menu, where
> the music and recordings menus by default sit.  I've used it to install on a
> bunch of systems and it's still working.  It's really easy, the only thing
> you have to do is just download, untar, then run "perl install.pl".  It
> asks you some questions then in Myth you have XM!  Check it out:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Integrate_XM#Quick_Install
>
> For the song popup, I still use gmessage or whatever it was doing
> already.  I really wanted to change it to use the mythtvosd function, like
> the caller ID and stuff, but that _only_ works when you're watching TV, as
> far as I can tell at least.
>
> I should have posted something here saying I made this awhile ago I
> suppose...  Hope this helps.
>
> Jarett

Yes, the mythtvosd only works when you're watching TV, that's why I didn't
use it as an option when building the initial version of the script. Your
installer rocks... I should do one for the Sirius version.

Integrating with MythMusic requires a deeper knowledge of C++ then I
currently have. Inspired by Myth, I have recently started learning some C++
but it's going to be a while where I'm comfortable enough to contribute
code. Until then, if MythPython (or whatever it's called) ever becomes
stable we might be able to better integrate with the UI... but until then.

Josh