[mythtv-users] Firewire stability/reliability DCT6200

Martin Lynch martin.lynch at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 5 03:22:27 UTC 2008

> When you hit that encrypted channel, are you able to change channel to
> another one and have it working again?
> When this happens to mine, it seems to lock things up.  Meaning I cant
> change to another channel, and a test-mpeg2 results in no data either.
> That is why I was wondering if it was something firewire related.
> I do have it set to broadcast and 400 for speed.
>
> What does broadcast and P2P mean?  I am not familiar with it.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Robert McNamara wrote:
>
>> > In general, the long pause followed by being dumped back to the menu
>> > means the channel is set to copy-none (encrypted) and you won't be
>> > able to tune it via firewire.  Keep in mind that the encryption is
>> > often on a per-program basis, so you may be able to tune a given
>> > channel for one program and not for the next.  I run into this with my
>> > HBO HD, for example. Some shows will record fine, others won't.
>> >
>> > You may want to look into whether the tuning works more reliably in
>> > broadcast mode than P2P mode.  I presume, based on the informed way
>> > you are talking about it, that you have followed the wiki page, but if
>> > you haven't make sure to check that out as it helped me through most
>> > of my firewire tuning problems.
>> >
>> > Robert

I used to have the same issues with firewire stability and lockup when
selecting encrypted channels, until I switched to the SVN version, which
works a little differently. Firstly, it has a display when you select a
channel which shows you the progress of channel tuning in (it shows the
letters "LAM" in turn as it tunes; once you get all 3 letters the
channel is tuned in (I have no idea what the letters mean)). It also
doesn't revert to the main menu when channel tuning fails. Instead, it
times out and a box appears telling you that you should have gotten a
signal by now and you can either try another channel or wait longer. It
adjusts automatically for changing nodes, too - you don't need to set
the node or port or anything in the capture card setup screen except the
type of connection (6200 works much more reliably in Broadcast) and
speed. I think it also has the firewire primer script built in...