[mythtv-users] X Sartup ?

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Mon Feb 4 23:38:18 UTC 2008

Dave wrote:
> Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com wrote:
>  >
>  > With the exception of the very broken/unsupported "no window manager"
>  > option, this page has some pretty OK solutions:
>  > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frontend_Auto_Login
>  >
>  > (And, before people start posting, "It works for me," just because
>  > you haven't found what's broken doesn't mean it works.  And, there's
>  > no benefit to running without a WM:
>  >
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Do_I_really_need_a_window_manager_for_a_frontend_only_box.3F
>   .)
>
> You may say that, but there is NO benefit to running a window manager
> and there is NO focus issues. I've been running a pure frontend for 8
> months without a window manager. Mythtv doesn't present multiple windows
> so you never lose focus. So if you're ONLY using a remote - i.e. not
> using a keyboard to type into the myth web browser, etc, then there is
> no use in running a window manager.
>
> You can point to all the wiki's you want, but unless you can show me a
> use case which focus is lost without a windows manager running, then i
> stand by my statement and so does my wife.

As others have mentioned some of the game emulators (e.g. FCE Ultra)
that you can use with MythGame have focus problems when no window
manager is used.

Also, having a window manager allows you to use a script to grab the
window focus. This can be useful when you want to sent a sequence of
keystrokes to a particular program in order to shut it down. I do this
in MiniMyth in multiple places. First, it is the only clean way to exit
the game emulators using the remote control since the game emulators do
not have lirc support. Second, it is the only clean way to shut down any
running programs (e.g. game emulators, xine) before sending the frontend
into S3 suspend state.