[mythtv-users] HDMI-to-CAT5 Converter

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Feb 4 16:39:53 UTC 2008

Jason Sullivan wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2008 11:14 AM, Alex Harford <harford at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 3, 2008 11:44 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>>> I ran into this, might be of interest to the group here:
>>>
>>> http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/4514/honeywell_introduces_hdmi
>> RP Electronics carries something like this:
>>
>> http://www.rpelectronics.com/Default.asp?Main=/English/OnlineCat.asp?Menu=/English/Content/Categories/CatM_74.asp%26Detail=/English/Content/Items/DIGI-HDMI-F.asp
>>
>> For 1080p you need cat6 though.
>>
>> At $250 for each end, I'll stick with a DVI-HDMI cable. :)
>
> Possibly, but it's easier (for me, at least) to drill a hole that I
> can pass a Cat6e cable and run that sort of thing behind the walls
> than it is to pull a DVI cable/connector through the wall (what would
> that be, a 2" hole?).   Some folks even have Cat6e already in the
> wall.

$500 easier ??? I think you could get a drywaller to replace an entire
sheet of wallboard, going around the cable, for that price.

Certainly it's a useful device, but the cost to benefit ratio is way too
high. Of course the price may come down, but as it's probably not going
to be a high-volume item I suspect not too quickly.

True, some folks have 5e in the wall, but probably not two of them, and
you can't use it for data if you're using it for video (I assume).

> I think I could get an HDMI connector pulled through a 1" hole (maybe
> smaller), but then I'd need two HDMI-DVI converter cables.  Not sure
> what all that would do to the signal.

Shouldn't hurt the signal measurably, assuming good quality adapters.

You could also install the DVI connector after passing the bare cable
through whatever, assuming you are handy with a soldering iron.

I've seen devices that transmit component signals over a fiber, and
these can go a LOT farther than 125 or even 200 feet. They are not cheap
either though, and component has some limitations, and not too many
video cards output that format.

beww