[mythtv-users] Recording/live-tv video quality (aka do PVR150 encoders suck?)

Scott Traurig straurig at comcast.net
Sat Feb 2 13:42:08 UTC 2008

> Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:48:44 +1300 (NZDT)
> From: "Robin Gilks" <g8ecj at gilks.org>
>
>Have a look at how your distro configures the ivtv card - the following
>*should* all be on one line but the mailer may wrap it!!
>
>v4l2-ctl
--get-ctrl=spatial_filter_mode,temporal_filter_mode,spatial_filter,temporal_
filter,video_bitrate_mode,video_bitrate,video_peak_bitrate,video_temporal_de
cimation

>Mine results in:
>
>spatial_filter_mode: 0
>temporal_filter_mode: 0
>spatial_filter: 0
>temporal_filter: 8
>video_bitrate_mode: 0
>video_bitrate: 2800000
>video_peak_bitrate: 4200000
>video_temporal_decimation: 0

Hi all,

I'm back from my heretical time away from all things Myth. A quick check of
the settings above and I find mine are identical except that video_bitrate
is set to 6000000 and video_peak_bitrate to 8000000, i.e. higher, which
should be better. So no joy on that and no joy on changing temporal_filter
to 0.

It seems this is a dead horse. The only thing left would be to migrate to
the s-video input but that is not possible with my current setup. Nor does
any viable alternative suggest itself as a replacement card at this time. I
guess I can only wait for ATI to get some Linus drivers done.

Thanks,

Scott

P.S. stay tuned for the next Myth mystery, of which I have 3 but will try to
only torture the list with one at a time!