[mythtv-users] 1 tuner of 2 records poorly from a single channel

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Feb 1 02:48:10 UTC 2008

> Haha! Well, with temps at -40C with the wind, cooling hasn't been an issue
> lately.

You didn't even have to specify the "C", as the F and C scales meet at -40.

I experienced that temp once in Midland, Ontario. We get close here in
Wyoming.

>> I believe the 500 card has an LNA on it. Is there a difference if you
>> switch it on or off?
>>
>> Loose connections tend to manifest themselves more at lower frequencies.
>> A problem that's only on channel 2 would make me look at possible
>> mechanical problems.
>
> I haven't tried that, but the machine has been up 127 days and the problem
> only started about a week ago and I haven't been in among the rat's nest of
> wires behind my desk so I'm thinking it's external to my suite if anywhere.

I tend to agree, and if a cable tech was lurking around lately I'd be
suspicious.

Of course the question would then become why a problem on only one
tuner, but there might be enough variation in tuners that the problem is
still outside your box.

> How does one turn the LNA off and on?

Having suggested it I'm ashamed to say I don't know, don't own a 500,
but I've seen reference to it here.

beww