[mythtv-users] backed seems to die regularly but nothing in log

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 19:41:00 UTC 2008

On 31/12/2008, Ben Edwards <list4me2 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2008/12/30 Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>:
> > On Dec 30, 2008, at 5:09 AM, Ben Edwards wrote:
>  >> Are there any other log files I should look at?  Is there a way on
>  >> increasing the logging?  Any other ideas?
>  >
>  > mythbackend -v all
>

> Thanks. Found this but it killed performance to the extent the box was
>  unusable (it is a 3GHz hyper-threaded Intel).  I have been playing
>  around with logging options.  I am getting the impression that some of
>  the logging options are expensive for other reasons than they write a
>  lot to the log file (i.e. there internals kill performance).  Any
>  pointers on the ones to be avoided world be good.

Try 'mythbackend -v most'

This disables database query logging and timestamping which can add
overhead, but the former may be useful if it is a particular query
which is causing the problem.

Which capture card(s) are you using?

I'd also recommend thinking about running memtest to check your system
memory, lmsensors to monitor your CPU temps, and using SMART to
monitor your drive health. Looking in the syslog whenever the
mythbackend process dies may also reveal extra information.

Did you reinstall from scratch after replacing the faulty hardware components?

Nick

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: