[mythtv-users] Nvidia beta drivers with MythTV -fixes

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 15:55:48 UTC 2008

Good day all,

For Christmas I received a LG Blu-ray drive and some Blu-ray discs.  I've
managed to get them into a 'playable' state in Linux - but have a few
problems - Myth video player and my distros version of mplayer don't like
VC-1, or HD-audio (and Iron Man only has Spanish and French in ac3!).  I
don't have a regular blu-ray player - so my Mythbox is my only way of
playing these discs.

I was thinking of getting a new video card in one of my frontends that can
support VDPAU (including VC-1 - which pushes me towards the 9200 or 9300
cards) and running the Nvidia beta drivers (180.16).  At this stage I would
only upgrade to a VDPAU-able version of mplayer - to play my Bluray rips (of
my own discs!).

At this stage I don't want to jump over to Myth trunk - the WAF would not
allow for it (I may at some point in the new year if I get a HDPVR or wait
for 0.22).  So my question is - will running the beta Nvidia drivers with a
bog-standard myth -fixes branch work?  Has anything changed in the
(non-VDPAU) API that would cause Myth to fail / not run correctly.  I
realise the nvidia drivers themselves are beta and may cause some
instability - but any issues with myth?

My system is a separate backend (running Fedora 10, libraries from
rpmfusion, and self-compiled -fixes branch), relevant frontend is running
Ubuntu 8.10 with a self-compiled -fixes.

Thanks and happy new year,
Nick