[mythtv-users] Media Server Advice Required

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Wed Dec 31 15:38:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 2:59 AM, --[ UxBoD ]-- <uxbod at splatnix.net> wrote:
> Thanks Brad .. As this will be purely a front-end would a Atom CPU surfice or would I be better getting
> something a bit more powerful ? Any recommendations on a nice case for the front-end ?

For SD an Atom might get it done. For HD, the only way an Atom would
work is if you have a supported card for VDPAU. And then you need to
run beta software and Myth Trunk. I'm not sure what your requirements
are, so I can't really be specific.

For a case, I recently bought one of these.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811121068

It works quite well. It's a little tight inside, the micro-ATX
motherboard has an IDE connector that sits parallel to the board, and
I can't use it because the case has a part that blocks it. You also
have to install the CD/DVD drive before the CPU heatsink, and
right-angle cables work better on that drive as they do end up close
to the CPU heatsink/fan. Large, fanless heatsinks may not fit, but the
stock AMD cooler I'm using isn't even noticeable as it runs slowly
most of the time. There are a bunch of vents in the case right near
the CPU, so airflow there is very good. I can't really speak to hard
drives in this case as I'm not using any. I installed Mythbuntu to a
USB flash drive and it's working great.