[mythtv-users] Mac OS X - Cannot connect to the master backend server

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Wed Dec 31 14:41:20 UTC 2008

At 4:48 PM -0800 12/30/08, Junk Bin wrote:
>Thanks again for the pointers - I finally got some more time to play with this.  I discovered that I hadn't selected a lineup in Schedules Direct - which I have now done.  I then tried the "retrieve lineups" function - nothing happened.  So  I tried your suggestion about manually configuring a couple of the channels with the appropriate XMLTVid - still no dice.  I deleted the video sources and re-added one for Schedules Direct, scanned channels again, tried to "retrieve lineups", "fetch channel listings from source", ran mythfilldatabase - all to no avail....
>
>Questions
>
>1) How does one view the output of the mythfilldatabase script?  I was hoping to possibly see some errors which might provide some insight.
>2) Are there some other settings I need to ensure are correct?  Here is a listing of my current settings kin the Video Source Setup:
>
>- Video Source Name: Schedules Direct
>- Listings Grabber: NOrth American (SchedulesDirect.org) (Interenal)
>- User ID/Password (check that I'm using the correct ID/password - same as their website login)
>- Direct Data Lineup - Blank
>- Perform EIT Scan - Checked
>- Channel Frequency Table - US Cable
>
>I then connected this video to each of the capture cards set-up in step two of the set-up (capture cards).  Here are the settings  for the "Connect Source to INput"
>- Capture Device - HDHomeRun ID FFFFFFFF 0
>- Input - MPEG2TS
>- Optional Display Name - Blank
>- Video Source - Schedule Direct
>- Use Quick Tuning - Live TV Only
>- Unencrypted Channels Only - checked
>- Pressing the "Fetch Channel from Listing source" - results in nothing
>- Input Priority - 0
>- Input Group 1: Generic
>- Input Group 2: Generic

Have you looked at http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/channels for a list of the cable channels you can expect to receive?  When you ran the channel scan, were you able to recognize the channels?  With my cableco, I don't get the call sign or any other recognizable info.  I have to sit down with the TV and figure out which station is on each frequency/program.  Very painful the first time.

Did you install 'wget' on your Mac?  OSX comes with 'curl' but MythFillDatabase expects to use wget to retrieve data from SchedulesDirect.  Use the Terminal to run mythfilldatabase and you should get a detailed log.

Do you have your cable lineup configured with SchedulesDirect?  When you log in to your account, click the report button to get a list of your channels with XMLids.  (How many do you have.)

Finally, turn off "Perform EIT Scan".  You don't need it with SchedulesDirect and I don't believe an cableco's provide a usable EIT stream.

Craig