[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun and static network

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 31 01:54:08 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 09:31:40AM -0500, Desktopj wrote:
> Yes. Use a MS Windows default ip address on your mythtv box. hdhr will
> see your mythtv ip, and assign an suitable address to itself.
>
> My mythtv ip setup - 169.254.1.10/255.255.1.0 broadcast 169.254.1.255
>                                   set your gateway and dns servers
> according to your internet connection. You may have
>                                   to change your gateway ip.

This range (or rather 169.254.0.0/16) is actually for IPv4 link-local
addresses. There is a whole RFC describing how devices can use
link-local addresses to automatically configure themselves on a (small)
network without having a DHCP server. That's one of the foundations of
"zeroconf" and its derivatives.

--
Michael Heironimus