[mythtv-users] Mythtv and Choice Hotels

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Dec 31 00:30:32 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 30 December 2008 17:02:29 David Brodbeck wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > Anyway, I have discovered that the smaller "Mom and Pop" places, often
> > along the Interstates, have very few problems. The larger, more expensive
> > "Big Name" hotels are where I have problems.
> >
> > Partly this is because the major hotels charge for internet access, so
> > for every packet you want to pass, the system has to check if you have
> > paid, if it's time for you to pay again, etc.
>
> And isn't it interesting how Motel 6 gives you free local phone calls
> and (in places so equipped) free wireless Internet, whereas expensive
> hotels expect you to pay extra for those services?  You'd think it would
> be the other way around.

I suspect the larger places got into contracts long ago that cost them a lot
of money and probably provide for a cut to the contractor.

Also, a lot of places initially wired their properties for hard-line ethernet,
and are now trying to recoup that cost. The ones that came along later, after
802.11x became common, didn't have that cost.

Places that cater to truckers along the highways found out that internet
service was a big draw, especially once VOIP services came along. Not too
many truckers stay at the high-end places, nor are many willing to pay a lot
for service.

I recall staying at the first hotel in the USA to offer broadband in every
room: the Washington Duke in Raliegh. Interestingly, I was there for the
Linux Expo on the Duke campus next door. They actually had a qualified
engineer on the property, since it was so new a lot of people needed help
connecting (though not on that particular weekend).

That was hard-wired only, a DHCP server running, printed instructions and a
handfull of RJ-45 patch cords in the desk drawer (no, I didn't swipe any).
They even had PCMCIA ethernet cards available for free if you needed one.

No charge for internet, but I seem to recall the hotel itself was far from
cheap. I even got a free wake-up call at 4:00AM, from the fire alarm.

--
beww
beww at beww.org