[mythtv-users] Does MythTV support HD video and media libraries

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Tue Dec 30 21:56:38 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Igor Chudov <igor at chudov.com> wrote:

> Thanks. At this point it is a no brainer that I need to get an antenna
> and OTA tuner card and start with that. I assume that some combination
> thereof is supported by MythTV out-of-the-box, right?

Yes. Many ATSC tuner devices are supported out of the box. I found the
HDHomeRun VERY easy to deal with. It is a dual tuner device that
connects to ethernet. That means no kernel drivers are required. It's
just a simple UDP stream. MythTV knows how to deal with it, so you
just tell Myth you have one, and it sets it up for you. It also has an
IR receiver built in that you can configure LIRC to use so you don' t
need to buy one of those if you go this route.

Note that for guide data you will need an account with Schedules
Direct. It's reasonably cheap at something like $20/year.
http://www.schedulesdirect.org/

I'm using a DB4 antenna on the roof for my OTA. It's working great at
about 15 miles from the transmitters.