[mythtv-users] Does MythTV support HD video and media libraries

Igor Chudov igor at chudov.com
Tue Dec 30 21:07:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 01:57:00PM -0700, Travis Tabbal wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Igor Chudov <igor at chudov.com> wrote:
> > > For HD input, you can do OTA easy enough with various devices.
> >
> > Sorry, what is OTA?
>
> Over the Air. Antenna. The best HD available short of Blu-Ray. I use
> it with an HDHomeRun network based tuner.

Sounds interesting. What sort of choice of channels do I get?
Any URLs?

I have to confess that personally, I am not a TV person and do not
watch TV. Which may sound strange, coming from a guy asking questions
on this mailing list.

But, I was hoping that I could set up something like that would
finally be convenient enough so that I would start watching TV. (like
recording shows etc). and that could be used by my family.

> > > Satelite is harder. There is only one component capture device out
> > > there right now. The Hauppauge HD-PVR. It's a USB device that does
> > > it's own compression of the component video feed to h264.
> >
> > > It is supported, but requires patching the source.
> >
> > Do you mean MythTV source or kernel?
> >
> > I have been recompiling kernel a lot and that part is easy, MythTV, I
> > assume not so easy.
>
> Mythtv, though I imagine you might have to do something in the kernel
> as it is a USB device. The Wiki is probably the best place to look, I
> know those using the HD-PVR have been updating it.
>
> > I think that I should get a big CPU regardless, as I play Bluray files
> > that I get from <purchased discs that I ripped myself> ... :)
>
> In that case, yes, go big. Or try to use the VDPAU acceleration. I am
> using it with a patched mplayer that NVidia provides the scripts to
> build. You download the file, and run a shell script. It gets the
> sources you need and compiles them for you. Easier than kernel
> building. My CPU use is about 5% on an AMD X2 3800+ when I use VDPAU.
> This is with 1080p movies that I couldn't play at all with that CPU
> before. I have found that a 6000+ gets the job done for just about
> anything I care to throw at it if you prefer to use CPU to do the
> work.
>
> You also need the beta NVidia driver, they have a nice forum where you
> can read up on it and see if you want to try that. I am not doing it
> with Myth right now, just mplayer as I use mplayer to do the playback
> of my ripped files. I also have a useful script for those ISO files
> one sometimes makes from the discs they purchase. Handles mounting and
> playback. Handy.

I would rather get a bigger CPU, I think.

My current ent. PC is 2.2 GHZ and can almost play HD. (as in, actually
can, but with a little stuckage)